Sunday, October 7, 2007

Personal life

Lohan has been a frequent attendee at various nightclubs and social events - at times being photographed with nightlife fixtures like Paris Hilton and Nicole Richie. Responding to the media's portrayal of her as a "party girl", Lohan commented, "People say, 'Oh, she goes out and she parties'. No, we are just going out and having fun."[42]

Lohan's three car accidents in 2005 were widely reported. The first was a minor rear-ender, though the victims later threatened to sue her.[53] In the second, she suffered minor injuries when a paparazzo who was following her for a photograph hit her car. Police called the crash intentional, but prosecutors said there was not enough evidence to file criminal charges.[54] In the third, Lohan struck a van in West Hollywood. Police ruled that the van's driver made an illegal U-turn.[55] When VH1 named Lohan "Big 'It' Girl" for its 'Big' in '05 Awards in December, it was, Lohan quipped, "because being Big in '05 means getting in three car crashes in one year, people!".[56]

January 2006, Lohan went to hospitals twice. In the first incident, she cut herself on a broken teacup while in London; in the second incident, she suffered an asthma attack while in Miami.[57]

In an interview published in the March 2006 issue of Allure magazine, Lohan said she hoped to be taken seriously as an actress, adding, "I hate it when people call me a teen queen." She addressed the numerous romantic rumors ("I know now that I don't need a boyfriend.") and her weight loss ("I will say that I went through a phase. I lost weight when I was in the hospital, and then I wanted to keep it off."). Lohan said 2005 "felt like five lifetimes because I've grown up a lot".[58]At around the same time, she is reported as having looked into the teachings of Kabbalah Centre, saying, "All of us need something. You have to grab on to whatever gets you through."[59]

July 25, the filming of Georgia Rule was delayed while Lohan was admitted to a Los Angeles hospital for treatment of overheating and dehydration,[60] her third hospital visit in 2006. In a letter to Lohan and others associated with the production that was later made public, James G. Robinson, CEO of the film's production company, Morgan Creek Productions, wrote:

"You and your representatives have told us that your various late arrivals and absences from the set have been the result of illness; today we were told it was 'heat exhaustion'. We are well aware that your ongoing all night heavy partying is the real reason for your so-called 'exhaustion'."[61]
Lohan's fourth 2006 hospital visit occurred in September when Lohan was treated at St. Vincent's Hospital in New York City after breaking her wrist.[62]

On January 18, 2007, Lohan checked herself in to the Wonderland Center[63] rehabilitation facility in West Hollywood's Laurel Canyon area. Through her representative, she issued a statement saying, "I have made a proactive decision to take care of my personal health."[64] In a later interview, Lohan said, "It's so weird that I went to rehab. I always said I would die before I went to rehab." But she added that, even after regularly attending meetings of Alcoholics Anonymous, "I don't know that I'm necessarily an addict."[65]

No comments: